Madison personalities among Girl Scouts’ Women of Distinction
MADISON, HUNTSVILLE – The Girl Scouts of North-Central Alabama has selected ten dynamic personalities as 2013 Women of Distinction.
The women “have made special contributions to their community through civic, academic or professional involvement,” communications coordinator Robyn Tucker said.
Women of Distinction honorees are:
* Ranae Bartlett of Madison — Attorney, volunteer and Madison Board of Education member.
* Yvonne Betowt of Huntsville — Retired reporter and editor, “The Huntsville Times.”
* Lyn Striplin Cook of Decatur — Co-owner, Cook’s Pest Control Inc.
* Dorothy Davidson of Huntsville — Chairman and CEO, Davidson Technologies.
* Laura Lynn Kerner of Athens — Associate professor, Athens State University.
* Wendy Kobler of Huntsville — Vice president, Alabama A&M University.
* Lisa Laurendine of Madison — Electrical engineer, Missile Defense Agency.
* Glenda Moody of Scottsboro — Community volunteer, Impact Learning Center.
* Lisa Grumbles Ordway of Huntsville — Compliance officer, Uniqco Inc.
Betowt compiled a long career in newspaper reporting. For the Madison ‘beat,’ she covered news from City Hall, Madison City Schools and hundreds of feature articles.
For Betowt, the Women of Distinction honor is especially meaningful because she participated in Girl Scouts for 10 years. “The recognition is a real honor. So many other people are much more deserving. I am very humbled by it,” Betowt said.
Bartlett was nominated by Junior League of Huntsville, “an organization of women devoted to improving the community through the action and leadership of trained volunteers,” she said. Junior league has members from Madison and throughout Madison County.
“It’s very humbling to be recognized by an organization of such accomplished and dedicated community volunteers,” Bartlett said. In May, Junior League presented Bartlett with the Kristin Ebaugh Spirit of the League Award. A recent league newsletter stated “even when Ranae is tackling the most difficult project, she always treats others with respect and courtesy.”
Dr. Jan Davis of Huntsville will receive the 2013 Christine Richard Lifetime Achievement Award.
For more information, call 800-734-4541 or 205-453-9530, email to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit girlscoutsnca.org.