Diverse mix serving on school’s growth committee
MADISON – The 14 individuals on the Madison Schools Growth Impact Committee have diverse backgrounds and career paths.
City and school leaders recently organized the committee to formulate a plan to preserve the Madison district as the state’s best educational value.
“We’re fortunate to have a group of smart, engaged, informed community members who are willing to volunteer their time to help the city develop a plan to manage growth,” committee co-chair Dr. Terri Johnson said. Mike Potter is also co-chair.
* Dr. Terri Johnson — Served 10 years with Madison Board of Education and Madison Swim Association for 15 years. Math professor at University of Alabama in Huntsville.
* Mike Potter — Former city councilman. Retired Lieutenant Colonel after 20 years in U.S. Army. Served on numerous city boards. Studied electrical engineering in graduate school.
* Steve Haraway — Served two terms in Madison City Council. Madison native. Currently in second term as Madison County Commissioner.
* David Hergenroeder — School board member. West Point graduate. Licensed Professional Engineer, Program Manager at Redstone Arsenal.
* Alice Lessmann — Retired Lieutenant Colonel, Alabama Army National Guard. CEO/co-owner of Signalink Inc. Volunteers with PTA, school projects and recreational sports.
* Larry Miles — Retired Certified Public Accountant. Retired as Vice President and Chief Accounting Officer for Intergraph Corporation. Volunteers with civic boards.
* Valerie Miles — Madison resident for 49 years. Broker of Frank Dawson Realty Co. Inc. Incoming president of Huntsville Area Association of Realtors.
* Shaquinta Morgan — Director of System Architecture for Philips Lighting. Licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical), Certified Energy Manager and LEED professional.
* Bebe Oetjen- Savannah River Plant and Lockheed in Georgia. Moved to Madison in 1963. Elected as City Commissioner of Public Safety. Grass-roots activist for civic affairs.
* Dr. Sandy Patel â€“ CEO/Chief Scientist of Patel Technologies. Serves with Madison Street Festival committee and as President-Elect of Madison Rotary Club.
* Steve Ryder — Worked for Intergraph division, eventually part of Siemens PLM Software, 36-plus years. Supporter of city recreation. Planning commissioner.
* Greg Shaw â€“ Madison City Councilman, District 4. Owner of Southern Scape LLC landscaping. Served on numerous MCS committees.
* Dr. Sheila Nash-Stevenson – Charter member, Madison Board of Education and Madison Rotary Club. Works as award-winning engineer with NASA.
* Al Sullivan â€“ Chairman/CEO of ABT Inc. President/CEO of BFA Systems. Former Commanding General of U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Command.