Christmas Parade reveals community pride
MADISON – Marching boys and girls, decorated floats, high school bands, civic club volunteers and hometown business owners will step out proudly with the 2019 City of Madison “Polar Express” Christmas Parade.
The parade will start on Dec. 14 at 5:30 p.m. on Plaza Boulevard near Madison Public Library.
The route then turns south on Hughes Road and continues to Mill Road to turn west. Units again will turn south again, this time on Church Street to reach its final destination on Main Street in downtown at the Wise Street intersection.
All side streets between Mill Road and Main Street will close at 5 p.m. and remain closed until the parade ends. Crews will block Main Street from Church Street to Sullivan Street at 4 p.m. for spectator viewing; Main Street will reopen when the parade ends.
Parade entries will vie for a chance at several awards:
* Spectacular Sparkles Award — Any entry with an outstanding display of lights or other illumination.
* Elfin Magic Award — An entry that spotlights children as its focal point.
* Sprit Award — Parade unit with the most enthusiastic crew.
* Director’s Award (small group) — Best marching/walking group with 50 members maximum.
* Director’s Award (large group) — Best marching/walking group with more than 50 members.
* Mayor’s Award (small display) — Overall, outstanding small unit that best represents the theme, “Polar Express.”
* Mayor’s Award (large/display) — Overall outstanding large unit that best represents the theme, “Polar Express.”
* Parade Committee Award (small display) — Small entry that shows best overall originality, creativity, appearance and uniqueness of decorations.
* Parade Committee Award (large display) — Large entry that shows best overall originality, creativity, appearance and uniqueness of decorations.
* Parade Performance Award — Any entry that presents an outstanding, entertaining and crowd-pleasing performance during the parade.
Re-creating one of the community’s most unique traditions, Madison Christmas Capers will be presented downtown on Dec. 14. The reenactment scheduled for 5 p.m. coincides with the kickoff of the Madison Christmas Parade.
For more information, call 256-772-9300 or email SpecialEvents@madisonal.gov or visit www.madisonal.gov.