Master Gardeners to present plant sale
MADISON COUNTY – Shoppers can browse among ground covers, trees, shrubs, flowers and house plants at the Master Gardeners of North Alabama Fall Plant Sale.
The annual sale is scheduled for Sept. 12 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Madison County Extension Office, 819 Cook Ave. in Huntsville.
“Come find proven plants grown by master gardeners for the area. Hard-to-find varieties will be available at affordable prices. Master Gardeners will be on hand to answer your questions,” spokesperson Nareatha Studdard said.
In addition, visitors can request free testing of soil pH from their lawns. The organizers have expanded a garden-themed rummage sale to include even more items than in past sales.
The sale covers a diverse inventory, as this abbreviated list shows:
* Ground covers – Ajuga, mondo grass, several varieties of columbine, hostas and strawberries.
* Flowering plants – Large yellow foxglove, perennial Dusty Miller, canna, Lenten rose, gladiola, bearded iris, double-red poppies, daylilies and many more.
* Trees and shrubs – Wisteria, palm tree, catalpa or ‘the fish bait tree,’ fig, holly, white-flowering yarrow, winter jasmine and others.
* House plants — Schefflera or ‘umbrella plant,’ peace lily, aloe and kalanchoe.
* Outdoor accents – Yuca and elephant ears.
“Come on out to our fundraiser,” Studdard said. “All proceeds go to assist the Alabama Cooperative Extension System with projects in Madison County and MGNA service projects in the community.”
Master Gardeners are keeping safety as a priority. Guests will observe six-feet distancing. Visitors should wear a mask while shopping for plants.
Master Gardeners of North Alabama is an all-volunteer, non-profit organization that supports and promotes research-based home and garden practices for the Alabama Cooperative Extension System. Residents will find the gardeners in the community while presenting educational workshops, demonstration gardens, outdoor classrooms, beautification projects and other projects.
For more information, visit mginfo.org.