Bob Jones claims ‘Best Alabama School in German’
MADISON – For the second consecutive year, language students at Bob Jones High School earned the title of “Best Alabama School in German” at the University of Alabama’s German Day.
Thirty-one students from Bob Jones, along with their peers at James Clemens High School, dominated awards at the 22nd annual German Day on March 2 in Tuscaloosa.
“Students went up against some very strong German programs at Vestavia Hills, Pizitz Middle School, The Capitol School, Jefferson County International Baccalaureate Middle School, Tuscaloosa Academy, Huntsville High School and the Academy for Science and Foreign Language,” John Peck said. Peck is Public Relations Manager for Madison City Schools.
In one major achievement by Bob Jones, senior Paige Bounds won the Donald Hall Excellence in German scholarship, worth $1,000. “I was so inspired and encouraged by all of the hard work, energy and enthusiasm of our German students,” German Club sponsor and teacher Jennifer Bruni said.
Students won 36 awards across different categories and class levels:
Level 1 and 2:
* Individual Poetry – Anna Kate, Level 2, first place; Kathryn Tippie, Level 1, third place (and third in individual song)
* T-shirt Design – Joy Onawola, first.
* Poster Collage – Rebecca Dennis, first.
* Geography – Paul Kirstein, first; Audrey Harper, third.
* Spelling Bee – Tinamarie Wilks, second; Garrett Chambers, third.
* Extemporaneous Speaking – Garrett Chambers, second.
* Dictation – Gracie Poehlman, second.
* Children’s Book – Lauren Davidson, Jenny Baldwin, Ella Waddell, third.
* Individual Song – Rachel Osafoh, third.
* Duel Dialog – Anna Kate Massengale, Cassidy Wells, third.
* Duel Dialog – Shelby Dennis, Morgan Scott, first; Tyler Gallardo, Paige Bounds, second.
* T-shirt Design – Virag Feher, first
* Individual Poetry, Individual Song and PowerPoint Presentation – Paige Bounds, first; Anna Flowers, second; Joshua Todd, third.
* Geography – Michael Colsh, first.
* Group Poetry — Dalia Altubuh and Carsten Grove, first; Anna Flowers, Zack Doherty, William Phillips, Joshua Todd, Shelby Dennis, second.
* Extemporaneous Speaking – Paige Bounds, second; Shelby Dennis, third.
* Geography – Morgan Scott, second.
* Children’s Book – Zack Doherty, William Phillips, second.
* Reading – Tyler Gallardo, third.
* Dictation – Paige Bounds, third.