Hardware and hometown banking once available on Main Street
Over time, drug stores, a newspaper office and hardware store on Main Street in Madison have been replaced by fine home furnishings, a salon and bodacious burritos.
200 Main St. is now vacant but painted brick on its façade still reads “Humphrey-Hughes Drug Store – The Rexall Store.” Madison’s first telephone switchboard was housed here. The Burton-Wise Drug Store operated at the address, followed by Jacklyn’s Keepsakes and Creative Learning Center.
At 202 and 204 Main St., Noble Passage Interiors is a full-service interior design shop with a mix of antiques, rugs, art, furniture, accessories and jewelry. Owner Deborah McDaniel and Rachel Wills have decorated numerous Madison homes.
Formerly, 202 Main St. was home to J.H. Cain General Merchandise store, other merchants, a dress shop and the “Madison Record” newspaper. Also, the Somerset Group produced award-winning media and graphic design.
At 204 Main St., Bank of Madison, the community’s first, was incorporated in 1905. The massive bank vault is preserved in the building. Other occupants were Madison’s water department, an Edward D. Jones office and Madison Chamber of Commerce.
J’s on Main, a hair salon, at 206 Main St. is operated by Jay Gainer. Above the entrance, “D.T. Thomas” identifies former owner Dea Therodore Thomas, who opened a mercantile store around 1904. Madison’s post office operated here from the 1940s until 1962.
212 Main St. is the former site of Hughes Hardware, operated by Gene and Marion Anderson from 1946 to 1996. John Winston Burton opened the town’s first drug store at 214 and 216 Main St. in 1871. During the mid-20th century, various merchants and, upstairs, an undertaker and residential apartments were found at this site.
The Anderson’s sons, Larry and Walt, now own Bandito Burrito, which serves savory Mexican cuisine at 208 and 210 Main St. In 1912, Madison Drug Company opened at the site, followed by Robert ‘Pud’ and Gladys True’s grocery.
“A Historical Walk Around Madison” by the Madison Station Historical Preservation Society provided most information in this article.