County Commission to vote on redistricting drafts on Jan. 5
MADISON – Based on the results of the 2020 Census, the Madison County Commission will vote on Jan. 5 to adopt new boundaries for the county’s six districts.
The new district lines will apply for voters in future elections.
The commission will decide on one of three drafts for the county’s boundary lines at their regularly scheduled meeting on Jan. 5 at 10 a.m. at the Madison County Courthouse, 100 Northside Square, seventh floor in Huntsville. The six-member commission will consider adopting a resolution to change district boundaries, which will become effective following the General Election scheduled for November 2024.
Before the commission’s vote, a time for public comments will be available. Citizens can speak for three minutes maximum to comment on the proposed boundary changes.
The public can inspect maps indicating the proposed district boundaries on the courthouse’s first floor. In addition, residents can access a map portal with three versions of draft maps (A, B and C) online at the county website at madisoncountyal.gov/home/showpublisheddocument/8001/637747354102870000.
A legal description for each of the six districts in Madison County is available in PDF format.
The commission has held two informational meetings for the public to discuss the draft plans and answer questions from citizens. Residents who want to comment but cannot attend the meeting on Jan. 5 should contact their county commissioner.
Citizens can reach their commissioner with the following information:
* District 1, Commissioner Tom Brandon — 9457 Moores Mill Road, New Market; 256-828-0726; firstname.lastname@example.org
* District 2, Steve Haraway — 100 Plaza Blvd., Suite 2, Madison; 256-532-1590; email@example.com
* District 3, Craig Hill — 4273 U.S. 72 E., Brownsboro; 256-776-2475; firstname.lastname@example.org
* District 4, Phil Vandiver — 6084 Hwy. 53, Harvest; 256-852-8351 or 256-851-9816; email@example.com
* District 5, Phil Riddick — 100 North Side Square, Suite 627, Huntsville; 256-658-3377 – cell, 256-532-3497, 256-532-3700; firstname.lastname@example.org
* District 6, Violet Edwards — 3210 Hi-Lo Circle, Suite B, Huntsville; 256-532-1505; email@example.com
The commission will adopt its final redistricting map at a regularly scheduled meeting in early 2022. For more information, visit madisoncountyal.gov/government.