Hogan Family YMCA opens new sessions for water sports, exercise
MADISON – Craig and Steven Hogan Family YMCA has opened its newest program offerings. The activities range from fun activities for children to health and well-being sessions for adults.
* Adult & Child Swim Awareness — Now in progress through Nov. 4. Allows infants at six months old to toddlers three years old to become comfortable in the water and develop swim readiness skills. Parents learn about water safety, drowning prevention and supervision. A parent will accompany the child.
* Swimming Competency – Also in progress until Nov. 4. Preschoolers from three to five years old can learn personal water safety and reach a basic level of swimming competency. Skills rely on ‘Swim-Float-Swim’ and ‘Jump-Push-Turn-Grab’ techniques. Fees for these swim lessons are $59 for members or $99 for families who are not members.
* School Age Swimming – Similar to the Swimming Competency classes but targets six- through 12-year-olds. For more information, call Colby Flack at 256-705-9622 or email email@example.com.
* Red Cross Lifeguarding – Runs from Nov. 1 to Nov. 22 for anyone at least 15 years old. The American Red Cross Lifeguard course is designed to give participants the basic skills and knowledge needed to serve as lifeguards in pools and aquatic environments. This comprehensive course offers up-to-date information on methods to guard, anticipate and prevent problems and to respond to individuals who need help.
Lifeguarding classes also cover CPR, first aid and AED certifications. This course blends self-paced online learning and instructor-led skill sessions. Before the first day of class, students complete approximately seven hours of outside assignments.
On the first day of lifeguard class, participants must pass a swim test. Anyone who does not pass the skills test will receive a 50-percent refund. Students must attend all class dates.
Fee is $200 or $300, depending on membership. For more information, call Farris Williams at 256-705-9622 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Tang Soo Do – Classes run Nov. 2-30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7 to 8 p.m. For anyone at least 13 years old. Tang Soo Do is a Korean martial art that is based on karate. (en.wikipedia.org)
Participants will learn kicks, punches, throws and joint-locking techniques as an effective means of self-defense. The practices will give self-confidence and mental discipline. Character values of caring, respect, honesty and responsibility are cornerstones of this program. Ola Myszka will be the instructor.
Tang Soo Do also is available for “Youth Advanced” for 7- to 12-year-olds on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6 to 7 p.m., along with “Youth Beginner” for 7- to 12-year-olds on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5 to 6 p.m.
Fee for Tang Soo Do is $52 or $72. For more information, call Colby Flack at 256-705-9622 or email email@example.com.