Numerous students honored in Young Writers Contest
MADISON COUNTY – Local students applied their creative skills to earn recognition in the Young Writers Contest, sponsored by Huntsville Literary Association.
Since 1967, Huntsville Literary Association has focused on bringing literature to life. The association sponsors or partners with other groups to bring a spectrum of literary activities and events for anyone who delights in books, poems and plays, according to their website. (hla-hsv.hlahsv.org)
The following youth in greater Madison earned recognition in the contest:
Lower Elementary Poetry Division:
* Jon Thomas Macri — First place, Asbury School, Madison, teacher Jennifer Macri.
* Jewel Ramey — Third place, Life Christian Academy, Harvest, teacher Holly Ramey.
Upper Elementary Poetry Division:
* Vedanth Gopinathan — First place, West Madison Elementary School, teacher Annie Glass.
Junior Poetry Division:
* Joshua Macri — First place, Discovery Middle School, teacher Emily Smith.
* Anisha Katoch — Second place, Discovery, teacher Sherika Lampley-Gray.
Junior Short Story Division:
* Zoe Widman — Second place, Discovery, teacher Christi Moore.
* William Perkins — Third place, Monrovia Middle School, teacher Janet Hightower.
* Ben Lambertson — Honorable mention, Discovery, teacher Sherika Lampley-Gray.
Senior Short Story Division:
* Calvin Engstrom — First place, James Clemens High School, teacher Donna Geise.
* Toni Glover — Honorable mention, Bob Jones High School, teacher Brandy Panagos.
* Montgomery Lin — Honorable mention, James Clemens, teacher Geise.
* Emma Hardy — First place, Bob Jones, teacher Panagos.
* Anaya Chambers — Second place, Bob Jones, teacher Panagos.
* Georgia White — Third place, Bob Jones, teacher Panagos.
* Yunona Shkolnikov — Honorable mention, Bob Jones, teacher Panagos.
* Maggie Brown — Honorable mention, Bob Jones, teacher Panagos.
* Abby Warren — Honorable mention, Bob Jones, teacher Panagos.
For more information, visit hla-hsv.hlahsv.org.