State Scholastic Chess Championship to convene in Madison
MADISON – The Alabama Chess Federation will conduct the 2020 State Scholastic Chess Championship in Madison in March.
“Bob Jones High School hosted the state championship four years ago, and we are thrilled to be hosting again,” Ranae Bartlett said. Bartlett serves as Executive Director of Madison City Chess League. The competition will be held on March 21-22.
Deadline for early registration is March 2. To register, visit alabamachess.jumbula.com. Advance registration is required for this championship.
The Individual Championship on March 21 will include a championship section and an ‘under section’ in each age group:
* High School Championship — Open to Alabama residents, grades 9-12, rated 1400.
* High School Under 1400 — Grades 9-12, rated under 1400 and unrated.
* Junior High Championship — Open to Alabama residents, grades 6-8, rated 1100+.
* Junior High Under 1100 — Grades 6-8, rated under 1100 and unrated.
* Elementary Championship — Open to Alabama residents, grades K-5, rated 600+.
* Elementary Under 600 — Grades 4-5, rated under 600 and unrated.
* Primary Championship — Grades K-3.
* Primary Under 300 — Grades K-3, rated under 300 and unrated.
The High School, Junior High and Elementary Championship sections are open only to Alabama residents and are limited by grade and rating, because officials will choose the Alabama nominees to the Denker, Barber and Rockefeller tournaments from those sections.
The Team Championship on March 22 and will include a school and club section in each age group: K-12, K-9, K-6 and K-3. Teams compete on four boards, in rating order.
All members of a team must be grade eligible for the section and must attend the same school or be current members of the same ACF affiliate. Home school students may compete as a school team if they would qualify as a school team under section 13.3 of the U.S. Chess Scholastic Regulations or as members of a club team if they are members of the same ACF affiliate.
For more information, contact the ACF Scholastic Vice President and Tournament Director at email@example.com.