Bob Jones swimmers win state championship
MADISON – The Swim and Dive Team at Bob Jones High School won the Alabama state championship on Dec. 5 for the second consecutive year.
Over the past 15 years, Bob Jones swimmers have won the state title nine times in Alabama High School Athletic Association’s Swimming and Diving Championships.
Swimmers on the team are Mark Johnson, Andrew Stern, Derek Sander, John Kinsey, Byron He, Warren He, Andrew Tretyakov, Devin Kreitz, Cary Clark, Marshall Wu and Logan Black.
The team’s divers are Joseph Klusesner, Eric Black, Vaughn Barnhart and Max Stevens.
Michael Gunner and Wade Thaxton coach the Bob Jones swimmers and divers.
As Bob Jones was taking home the boys’ title, Auburn High School won the girls’ title — both repeat champions. Both Bob Jones and Auburn won in Class 6A/7A division.
Madison athletes turned over several records for the state meet. Bob Jones junior Andrey Tretyakov delivered an excellent performance to set a new state record for the 200-yard intermediate medley (1:49.88) and 100-yard butterfly (48.07 seconds).
In addition, Tretyakov swam in one leg of the 200-yard medley relay, another win for Bob Jones. Their effort broke the former Alabama record that McGill-Toolen High School set in 2012. Mark Johnston, Andrew Sterns, Derek Sander and Tretyakov clocked in at 1:34.52 to win.
Several Bob Jones students racked individual honors:
* 200-yard freestyle — Derek Sander, 1:38.31.
* 200-yard IM — Andrey Tretyakov, 1:49.88, AHSAA state record.
* 100-yard freestyle — Derek Sander, 44.60, AHSAA state record.
* 100-yard butterfly — Andrey Tretyakov, 48.07, AHSAA state record.
* 200-yard freestyle relay — Andrew Sterns, Logan Black, Andrey Tretyakov, Derek Sander, 1:25.57, AHSAA state record.
* 100-yard breaststroke — Andrew Sterns, 58.03.
In addition, Andrew Shea from James Clemens High School won the 50-yard freestyle at 21.02.
Madison Board of Education recognized the Bob Jones athletes at their Dec. 17 meeting.