School is out
School system employees celebrate
Soon after Madison schools dismissed for the year, Madison School System employees got together at the Bob Jones High School auditorium for a good old-fashioned hoe down. Faculty and staff members wore their school's colors, overalls, straw hats and such, in line with the end of school year celebration theme "Hee Haw, It's Summer !!!"
The group had a birthday cake to celebrate completion of the school system's fifth year along with a little pickin', grinnin' and singin'.
A spirit stick was awarded to Madison Elementary for having the most creative answer to roll call.
School board officials honored teachers of the year and support staff of the year for each school in the system by presenting them with checks for $500.
The following National Board Certified Teachers were applauded:
* Barbara Rawls, Liberty Middle School, Early Adolescence/English Language Arts
* Melanie Pickens, Bob Jones High School, Adolescence and Young Adulthood/Science
* Ellen Thompson, Horizon Elementary, Middle Childhood/Generalist
* Jeanne Welt, Liberty Middle School, Early Adolescence/English Language Arts
* Gay Fitzgibbon, Heritage Elementary School, Early Childhood/Generalist
* Ben Johnston, Liberty Middle School, Adolescence and Young Adulthood/Science
* Leah McRae, Bob Jones High School, Adolescence and Young Adulthood/Science
* Cathy Nash, Heritage Elementary School, Early Childhood/Generalist
* Angela Bliss, Heritage Elementary School, Middle Childhood/Generalist
* Judy Brown, Bob Jones High School, Early Adolescence through Young Adulthood/Career and Technical Education
* Lynn Semyck, Liberty Elementary School, Early Childhood through Young Adulthood/Exceptional Needs Specialist
Last, but not least, five retiring school system employees were acknowledged: Phyllis Broadway, David Cherry and Jean Millimaki, who worked at Madison Elementary School; Barbara Gehm, of Liberty Middle School; and Rose Sterling of Bob Jones High School. Each received a certificate and a savings bond.