• 48°

Volunteer center eyed for Madison

By Staff
Becky Miller
Guest writer
A volunteer center is being eyed in Madison.
If you need a job for a week or more, but you don't care about the pay, the Volunteer Center of Madison County may be the answer.
The center's executive director, Madison resident Sheila McFerran, said the center is the premier connection between the volunteer and communities needs. The Volunteer Center is located at 912-B Bob Wallace Ave. in Huntsville and a satellite office is being considered in Madison.
"Recently during a lunch with Madison City Councilman Larry Vannoy and Charlotte Rumore, aid to the council, the needs of the community were discussed and it was noted that there are several projects to be completed in Madison, which could use volunteer help," McFerran said. "The Volunteer Center wants to meet the needs of Madison and we need a presence in the community so that people will consider volunteering."
The Grace Club started the Volunteer Center in 1969, which is now the Junior League. It is involved in numerous projects including the upcoming 2003 Air Show in Huntsville, Panoply of the Arts, CASA, Make-A-Wish Foundation, The ARC Animal Shelter, and more.
"We are a clearinghouse for individuals, church groups, youth and corporations who want to volunteer on a specific request," McFerran said. "Ongoing volunteers are always needed to support our agencies with office support, answering the phones, surveys, computer support, and more."
Approximately 40 percent of the budget for the Volunteer Center comes from United Way. The remaining 60 percent comes through sponsors, fundraisers, grants, and its foundation.
"We conduct board training for non-profits and other workshops when needed and future plans for the center include a training facility for non-profits to use," McFerran said. "At the present time, directors have to go to Montgomery or Atlanta to attend workshops, so this is essential to have this here."
The Volunteer Center is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information about the center, call 539-7797 or e-mail shelia@volunteerhsv.org.

Business

The State Of The Rocket City Trash Pandas 2022

FRONT PAGE FEATURED

Rocket City Marathon 2022: New Format, New Course, New Day

James Clemens High School

Christmas Card Lane brightens downtown streets

Liberty Middle School

World War II, Korea veteran Walt Siffringer accepts Quilt of Valor

Bob Jones High School

beEntrepreneurial [beE] High School Idea Competition sets Dec. 7 deadline

Madison

School board approves bid to turn the old West Madison campus into PreK Center

Bob Jones High School

Greenpower racing builds STEM skills and confidence

Madison

Madison Animal Rescue Foundation in need of new foster homes

Madison

How to submit your child’s “Letter to Santa”

Events

Neighbors: Community theater groups in Decatur to stage ‘ELF: The Musical’

Events

Driving Nights for Galaxy of Lights begin today at Huntsville Botanical Garden

Events

Polar Express Christmas Tree Trail lighting and Wassail Fest being held Friday in downtown Madison

Bob Jones High School

Former Patriot named assistant director of coaching at North Alabama SC

Digital Version

Check out the new issue of Madison Living Magazine

James Clemens High School

James Clemens medical and drama students, first responders simulate trauma scene

Madison

Curbside recycling recovery assistance throughout the weekend

Bob Jones High School

Scholarships at stake in American Legion oratorical contest

Bob Jones High School

Nichols’ podcast avers multi-disciplines feed theatre

Business

Town Madison becomes city’s first Arts & Entertainment District

Events

Asbury Church to present “Lessons & Carols: The Songs of Christmas” on Dec. 4

Events

Christmas at Burritt on the Mountain

Events

Madison Community Band to present “Christmas Journey”

Events

Winter Park at The Orion Amphitheater is now open!

Harvest

Still Serving Veterans named ‘Nonprofit of the Year

x