• 77°

County bridges to be replaced in 2003

By By Thomas Tingle
Record Managing Editor
Two bridges located on Blake Bottom Road near Indian Creek Road in northwest Madison County are scheduled for replacement in 2003, while another bridge on Mt. Zion Road will be replaced soon.
Doyle Bradley, assistant county engineer for Madison County, said the one of the bridges, located between Indian Creek Road and Research Park Blvd. will be replaced as early as next summer. The other bridge, located near the Blake Bottom Road and Jeff Road intersection, could be replaced sooner.
"We expect to let to contract on the first bridge by March or April of 2003. That will depend on the acquisition of property and funding," Bradley said. "It is expected to cost between $100,000 to $150,000 to replace the bridge between Indian Creek Road and Research Park Blvd."
District 4 Commissioner Dale Strong said the Blake Bottom Road bridge replacement projects are on the state's bridge replacement agenda and the Mt. Zion Road bridge, located between Mt. Zion Baptist Church and Monrovia Elementary School will be replaced soon.
Federal funds will account for 80 percent of the cost to replace the bridge between Indian Creek Road and Research Park Blvd. with the remaining 20 percent coming from the county. It will take as long as three months to replace the bridge once construction begins.
Bradley said the bridge would be wider than the bridge that now exists and was built in 1940. He said even though bridges similar to the existing bridge can last as long as 75 to 100 years, the volume of traffic that travels over the bridge has warranted its replacement.
Bradley said as many as 4,000 cars travel Blake Bottom Road daily.
Details are nearly complete on the bridge replacement project near Blake Bottom Road and Jeff Road. Bradley said the two-lane bridge will were wider than the existing bridge and will cost between $200,000 to $300,000 to replace.
Bond money will account for 100 percent of the cost to replace the bridge as part of Amendment 1 that has freed funds for bridge replacement projects. It too will take as long as three months to replace the bridge once construction begins.

Madison

Rocket City Federal Credit Union establishes the “Detective Josh Moseley Fund” for assistance

Business

Stores, parents gearing up for sales-tax holiday

FRONT PAGE FEATURED

FCA Sports Camps- Faith And Sports

Digital Version

Digital version of The Madison Record – July 17, 2024

Madison

Madison Senior Center assists in TARCOG’s ‘Live and Live Well’ launch announcement

Madison

Canine officer, Bear, joins Madison Police force to detect devices, offer therapy

Bob Jones High School

Tosha Swearingen now serving as Rainbow Assistant Principal

James Clemens High School

Holmes accepts Assistant Principal position at Midtown

Madison

Nedjra Russell named Administrator of West Madison Pre-Kindergarten Center

Huntsville

Space & Rocket Center CEO to speak at chamber’s ‘Business Over Breakfast’

Madison

Main Street Alabama presents revitalization potential for downtown Madison

FRONT PAGE FEATURED

Sparkman Grad Picked By Kansas City Royals In Major League Baseball Draft

FRONT PAGE FEATURED

“I’m Meant To Be Here”- Dell Pettus Signs With New England Patriots- Former Sparkman Player Goes Pro

Lifestyles

Get those pumpkins planted: Halloween starts in July

Events

CAFY Back to School event to be held Saturday at Calhoun’s Huntsville campus

Bob Jones High School

Teachers support DIAL Scholarship program at UAH

Events

Joe Davis Stadium to host UNA vs. Jax State collegiate soccer match Aug. 18

Huntsville

UAH announces search for a master developer to enhance college-town experience

Events

Huntsville Parks & Recreation to host inaugural Color Jam Family Fun Run & Walk

Madison

Fernandez named Assistant Coordinator of Accountability and Innovative Programs

Madison

ALEA reports 9 traffic deaths, 3 drownings over July Fourth travel period

Madison

Management institute awards scholarship to Michelle Epling

Madison

Sarah Crouch’s debut novel, ‘Middletide,’ sets whodunnit in Puget Sound

Liberty Middle School

White named Secondary Instructional Technology Specialist

x